few questions about things to come and a lot of compliments

If you are using CADEMIA and miss something you'd like to see in the future, post your request here.

few questions about things to come and a lot of compliments

Postby kasper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello CADEMIA team,

During the last years I'm following CADEMIA from time to time. As stated in one of my earlier posts, the program is every release making a serious progress! Since the tutorials on youtube I'm getting it really and this made me able to make a few nice drawings.

I read the post by hm with his list of 15 points and recognized a few things (and learned some new tricks as well).
But I have also encountered some other things and made my own short list.

1) The only strange behaviour I've encountered are copied rectangles (by ctrl D) who seem to be transformed to paths after an edit in their dimensions. I select one side by clicking the middle node and one of the sides remains as it was before the transformation. Of course this is easily repeared but still strange.

2) Moving of components goes with translate very effective and secure. But sometimes I wants to move some components by mouse but strictly horizontal. Is there a function to do this? It seems not. With 'orthogonal' selected the selection still moves free.

3) Another question about orthogonal versus angular drawing. I found out that I'm really changing a lot between them, maybe there can be a shortkey to toggle between angular and orthogonal drawing.

4) Once I asked you for a tool with parallel lines for drawing walls etcetera. Berthold wrote me to use the offset tool. I took me some time but this works very good.
Another question about the paths: When I combine a free formed path with a rectangle (by join) this gives unexpected results. I hoped to make an addition. The result is an -for me- unpredictable combination which is not an addition nor substraction. Are additions or substractions of paths possible? Or is this maybe scheduled for later development?

5) I imported some geometry I use for my title block with an imported DXF. (By the way the DXF import is fantastic, I tried a few really heavy ones and it all worked fine. CADEMIA zoomed panned etcetera as if the file was nearly empty.)
Now I'm struck with a bunch of old layers. I can export and re-import it to solve this but I don't like the idea. Is there something like a layer dialog in your planning? In fact I'm trying to find out wether I can stop my old commercial cad-programs.

6) Last question at this time. I read an unanswered post about having an extra snappoint on crossings. Altough it is not strictly needed, it might speed up the drawing process. Is there any change to make such an automated command?

Enough questions, I also want to add a list with my personal favourite functions of CADEMIA. Here it is:
1) One click to having a beautiful coloured or hatch fill. I use this often in my drawings which are mostly somewhere between technical and presentation drawings.
2) Multiple windows in which the drawing is presented. It is so cool to have three windows: one in which a copied component is displayed, another displaying a larger area in which you see the movement of this copied part and the biggest third window where it is brought into the right position. Just a brilliant idea. Why is CADEMIA the only cad program having this function?
3) Altough there was a reported inconvenience with the text tool (I encountered the same, your comment was hilarious: better to have an reported error that is not there, than the other way around...) CADEMIA works fine with every font you can think of. Multiline text might be improved sometime but I don't care too much. Fonts do matter for me, I want to make beautiful drawings.

This list could be longer, this choice was mainly to show what CADEMIA distinguishes from all the rest of cad programs out there.
Last question for today; I read somewhere that CADEMIA is easy to be used in webbrowsers; it seems nice to me but I haven't got an idea how to do this. Does this also work on a Ipad? Maybe you can drop me a line about that.

Regards, Kasper
kasper

Re: few questions about things to come and a lot of complime

Postby bf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello Kasper,

Thank you for taking the time and giving us a constructive feedback on using CADEMIA. Here are answers and comments from our side.

1) The only strange behaviour I've encountered are copied rectangles (by ctrl D) who seem to be transformed to paths after an edit in their dimensions. I select one side by clicking the middle node and one of the sides remains as it was before the transformation. Of course this is easily repeared but still strange.

The CADEMIA rectangle is actually represented by a general path component. Currently, there is no rectangle component available. Therefore the rectangle constraints are not obeyed once it is constructed.

2) Moving of components goes with translate very effective and secure. But sometimes I wants to move some components by mouse but strictly horizontal. Is there a function to do this? It seems not. With 'orthogonal' selected the selection still moves free.

With translate you can easily enter a horizontal or a vertical angle.

In the future, the angular and orthogonal constraints should be supported in the drag tool as well. Alternatively, we could support a direction constraint (horizontal, vertical, generally spoken: at an angle). This thing is not decided yet. What would you prefer?

3) Another question about orthogonal versus angular drawing. I found out that I'm really changing a lot between them, maybe there can be a shortkey to toggle between angular and orthogonal drawing.

We could add this functionality to the menu bar and enable shortcuts as suggested. We also think about removing the digitize mode (Snap | Pick | Grid | Digitize) options and only support 'Snap' which is a combination of (Pick | Grid | Digitize). This digitize mode comes still from the old unicad days and should be obsolete by now.

4) Once I asked you for a tool with parallel lines for drawing walls etcetera. Berthold wrote me to use the offset tool. I took me some time but this works very good.
Another question about the paths: When I combine a free formed path with a rectangle (by join) this gives unexpected results. I hoped to make an addition. The result is an -for me- unpredictable combination which is not an addition nor substraction. Are additions or substractions of paths possible? Or is this maybe scheduled for later development?

The joining of Lines, Arcs, Circles and Paths results in a single congruent Path component. The command does not support Boolean operations like Union, Difference or Intersect.

In the next CADEMIA release there will be Group components that allow you to group a set of components. This will be a powerful alternative to joining because (1) the original components are preserved and (2) components of any type can be added to a group.

5) I imported some geometry I use for my title block with an imported DXF. (By the way the DXF import is fantastic, I tried a few really heavy ones and it all worked fine. CADEMIA zoomed panned etcetera as if the file was nearly empty.)
Now I'm struck with a bunch of old layers. I can export and re-import it to solve this but I don't like the idea. Is there something like a layer dialog in your planning? In fact I'm trying to find out wether I can stop my old commercial cad-programs.

Yes, we are planning to implement a layer dialog. This feature will be available in one of our next releases.

6) Last question at this time. I read an unanswered post about having an extra snappoint on crossings. Altough it is not strictly needed, it might speed up the drawing process. Is there any change to make such an automated command?

This is a feature to come in the next release. You simply pick two arbitrary components (with one digitized point only) at the desired intersection point.

Once again thank you for giving us your valuable feedback!
Berthold Firmenich
bf

Postby kasper » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for your inspiring comments!

About your question towards my opinion in using constraints of moving components I'm not totally sure yet.
I was thinking about the mindset of someone making a drawing. The first thing you do is deciding you want to move a certain component. Then you pick it up with the mouse; while moving you decide it has to be with constraints. During this operation the options of the drag-tool appear under the commandline. This would be the moment for me to decide I need constraints. Choices between orthogonal or angular seem to be appropriate.

The other comment about drawing angular or orthogonal lines: I see Inkscape using ctrl to draw with horizontal or vertical constraints. Not pressing this key means drawing free angular lines. I guess it will be something like this?

I'm looking forward to the described new functionality, enough to find out in the inbetween period...
kasper

Postby heindlc » Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Hello!

Is there anything new about the component grouping feature? I probably like to use the grouping feature within my plugin. Are there any developer snapshots i can use to test and explore this new feature?

Best regards,
Christian
heindlc

Postby bf » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 am

The Group allows to apply a hierarchical structure to the database. Compared to a file system the files correspond to Components and the Groups correspond to directories.

The CADEMIA-Consult develops Plugins for our customers. We found that groups are a powerful way to develop complex Components with dependent parts. So we decided to add this functionality to the CADEMIA kernel. Groups improve the reusability of existing components. They also add on the modularity of complex components.
Berthold Firmenich
bf

Return to CADEMIA user feature requests